Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"I LOVE you, but...I like ______ as well..."

I'm really going to try and make this a semi-dignified blog. I'm not gonna lie, there will be ranting on here. It happens. But I'm going to try and post some quality stuff too.

*NOTE: I SAID "TRY". I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN. BUT I PROMISE, I WILL TRY.

So tonight, I was thinking about when people are pulling for a couple teams. There's always going to be those people who say that "YOU CAN ONLY CHEER FOR ONE TEAM!!" But I really don't understand why.

Ok, there IS a way I can sort of see how that makes sense. When the Super Bowl was on Sunday, my mom was cheering for the Packers. I'm not HUGE into football, but I am a Bears fan. Pretty much every person in my family is a Bears fan. We're from Chicago. My mom said she was just cheering for them because "They're our neighbors." Yeah. It doesn't work that way. That's like me (as a die-hard Blackhawks fan) cheering for the Detroit Redwings.

Um. Ew.

But I don't see why people would make such a big deal about cheering on other teams. Obviously the Blackhawks are my number one team. They will always BE my number one. But I'm a Penguins fan too. When I first started getting into hockey was when I started becoming a fan of them. I was a HUGE fan of Mario Lemieux. I remember my brother got me a figurine of him, which I still actually have.

I remember watching the last game of the Stanley Cup finals in 2009, when the Penguins were playing the Redwings, and when they won I was really happy. I mean, yeah, they beat the Wings, but still, that's not the entire point. I actually like the Penguins. They're a good team, you can't argue that.

Well. They're in a bit of a pickle right now. But I'm hoping that they can come out of it.

My brother is also a Blackawks fan. But he also likes the Lightning, the Sharks, and the Predators. Ok, I won't lie, I will give the shifty eye to the Preds. My cousin. Huge Blackhawks fan, but he likes the Habs too. I also root for the Leafs. They do really terribly sometimes, I'm not going to lie, but I do get excited when they win.

Obviously, when it comes down to it, I'm going to root for the Blackhawks over these teams when they play each other. But I don't see what the harm is in having a little variety in your hockey life. I just love to watch it. And I really hope that some of these teams that I like can go to the playoffs, just so I have more time to see them.

Ok, I'm sure the Leafs won't probably won't, but you get what I'm trying to say. I want to be able to stretch out my viewing of the hockey season for as long as I can. I mean, what am I gonna do when hockey season is over? Watch baseball?

....I'm a Cubs fan...'nuff said there...I know.

I was watching, I believe NHL on the Fly one night, and there were quite a few predictions saying that the final two would be the Flyers and the Redwings.

And if this were to happen, I would gladly say "See you in September..." to hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment